Friday, September 7, 2012
s w e e t
Last week I was ill. I feared that my debilitating web assisted self-diagnosed illness had returned. Then I received my email notification from mymonthlycycle.com that my period would arrive in three days. I began considering my mortality and my desires in the event of my unexpected expiration.
Extreme? Yes, but illness + p.m.s. = possible death.
First stop, the health food market, where I purchased herbal remedies and healing foods. I made a doctor’s appointment (they can’t see me for another month).
At some point post panic I realized that I had work – work to do, and word—work to do.
What would be the working word for the next few days? From the box, I drew integrity. As good as any, I posted it on facebook and set off for a day full of integrity.
Uh, illness+pms+morbid thoughts+ integrity = ?
We would see… I didn’t drive over the speed limit or scowl at the texting driver, and I made myself be at work on-time—that showed integrity – honoring your word and the contracts that you’ve entered. I worked super hard non-stop. Then, I proceeded to call folks (and myself) to the carpet all day in my warped version of unveiling truth and purity.
If there existed a right word to carry prior to the 'friend’s' visit, I’m thinking integrity isn’t the one. I’m sure there are another two hundred and forty other days that integrity would wear well. Before my head exploded into a million pieces from contemplating the different angles and attraction points of supporting undergarments and integrity or ended up in a screaming match with a superstore manager about supporting slave labor in third world countries for canned pineapple production.
I drew a new word.
The word—sweet. I thought, “Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwww, how shallow. How perfect!” Not world altering, but easy.
Sweet visions danced in my periphery replacing spots where integrity packed it’s boxes. My world turned syrupy.
My sweet sweet daughter and I started our Friday night movie, The Wedding Date. Sharing a blanket with Halima on the floor mattress in our living room became an instant mini sweet moment. That sweet and super hot escort, Dermott Mulroney reminded me of my Farmer Guy.
When my son burst through the front door at 9:40 instead of his usual O.D.D. one minute past his 10:00 curfew and joined us. The moment became sweeter.
Aside from a sappy movie induced occasional one-eyed tear stream, I had nearly forgotten about my friend’s pending visit .
So quick—so s w e e t, words.
Waking from sweet sleep, I decided to not draw a new word for the day. Technically, I hadn’t experienced twenty-four hours of sweetness. Besides I didn’t have time. I still needed to drive across the state of Texas to convene with my mother, my ex-husband, and about a thousand dance moms all while still expecting my period.
Awesome! The word stayed sweet.
Top ten sweeties that s w e e t brought me.
1. We made it to the farmer’s market- just in time for a sweet smooch.
2. I realized it was, what? – FREE COMIC BOOK DAY! Sweet!
3. Found an awesome new sweet shop in San Angelo, Halfmann’s Cake Cottage. Lemon Bars!
4. Discovered an unopened CD bought from SXSW street saxophonist, Nicole Rachelle. Fabulous Jazz!
5. In Killeen we stumbled upon a sweet Cinco De Mayo street fair. I danced.
6. The concierge was a sweetie youngster all amped on Social Justice and assigned us the Presidential Sweet without a price hike. She promised to send a pictureless book to her incarcerated lifer pen-pal. Doesn’t get sweeter.
7. Saw a sweet tweet from @thebluedoor shouting out The I CAN Alphabet.
8. Our in-the-area super sweet family surprised us and we had an impromptu take over Starbucks party.
9. Met sweet Baby V sleeping and outfitted in his baptismal attire.
10. My daughter’s dance troupe won first and my son made me a co-pilot. SWEET
I couldn’t wipe the smirk from my face. I would tweet and share my sweets and the day kept sweetifying. I eventually picked a new word, and I posted it to fb, but I can’t for the life of me remember what it was. For the moment 'my friend' and I will continue to live in the sweetness.
BTW, I think I’m healed- Sweeeeeeeeeettt! It was all probably a case of P. (lease) M. (ore) S. (weetness)!
Pick a word.
Pick another if that word doesn’t fit.
Watch for it! See how it appears in your world.
Capture the word- Write about it, make mental images, be present in it, draw it, photo it.
Share- Call a friend, text a photo, tweet or fb share.